Every cat owner would want to make their pet’s life healthier and happier. Many people have started to realize that conventional treatment options are not always the best call. Besides, recent studies explore and confirm the healing effect of CBD for inflammation and other conditions. Let’s dig deeper into this and find out more about CBD oil for cat health.
Can Cats Take CBD Oil?
All mammals have an endocannabinoid system, which is an important modulatory system for some of the vital bodily functions. The ECS is composed of certain receptors that are found throughout the cat’s body and affect the regulation of appetite, the immune system, and pain perception.
With the discovery of two particular receptors, CB1 and CB2, the molecular basis for the effectiveness of CBD were explained. CB1 receptors can be found in many areas of the central nervous system, and CB2 receptors are mainly present in the immune system. Interestingly CBD can interact with these receptors in the same way that the cat’s body would normally do. The principle is the same for humans, so the answer to the question “Can cats take CBD oil?” is that CBD oil is safe for both humans and cats.
Can CBD Oil Make My Cat High?
Unlike marijuana, CBD products are not psychoactive, as they do not contain the active compound THC. The feeling of being ‘high’ is only attributed to the effects of THC. The amount of THC can be different depending on the marijuana strain, but hemp-derived CBD contains no more than 0.3% THC.
CBD vs. Catnip
The short answer is no. CBD is derived from hemp, which is in the Cannabaceae family, whereas catnip comes from the Lamiaceae family (mint).
As stated above, CBD interacts with the ECS. Catnip’s volatile oils enter the cat’s nasal tissue and affect several brain regions: the amygdala (responsible for memory, decision-making, and emotional responses) and hypothalamus (responsible for attachment behaviors, thirst, and circadian rhythms). Catnip can make cats aggressive, lethargic, or sexually stimulated. CBD does not – moreover, it is a common practice to use CBD oil for cats’ aggression.
How CBD Oil Can Help Your Cat
The scope of benefits of CBD oil for cats is wide. There are in vivo and in vitro reports on CBD administration, which confirm its pharmacological actions, including anxiolytic, antipsychotic, antiemetic and anti-inflammatory properties. CBD’s therapeutic actions can help with:
- Aggressive behavior
- Loss of appetite
- Inflammatory diseases
Anecdotal reports also support CBD efficiency as pet owners see positive results when administering CBD oil to cats.
A Deep Dive into Specific Cat Conditions and CBD Benefits
Is CBD oil safe for cats with cancer, seizures, and infections? It is not only safe but also helpful. Here are the reasons and relevant studies:
- Inflammatory bowel disease – cats with IBD may vomit, have diarrhea, or may lose weight, so it’s something you need to address quickly. Many studies revealed that CBD has anti-inflammatory properties and suppresses acute and chronic joint inflammation in animals.
- Pancreatitis – It is important to treat Pancreatitis promptly to avoid possible kidney failure. CBD oil for cats with kidney disease may be helpful due to direct endocannabinoid effects in the kidneys.
- Arthritis – CBD used in an animal model of arthritis has been shown to have dose-dependent therapeutic effects. It is considered to have a low toxicological profile, so animals and humans can safely take it.
- Cancer – CBD oil for cats with cancer may help even in cases of intolerance to opioid therapy or to avoid drug withdrawal. During research studies, CBD was successfully used as an analgesic treatment for moderate to severe cancer pain.
- Seizures – CBD shows anti-epileptogenic effects in several animal models. It is also currently being used to treat Dravet syndrome. While it is not very common for cats, CBD oil for cats with seizures has encouraging prospects. When administering CBD oil for cats, seizures medications should not be abruptly discontinued.
Where should I buy CBD oil from?
CBD industry is unregulated. This has given rise to many companies who provide fake products. We want you to be healthy and safe while using CBD oils. We use CO2 extraction to guarantee purity. Our products are not just natural but also 100% safe.
Not sure where to find CBD? Try CBDOILS.com for high-quality CBD oils!